About CPF and the Awards
The California Preservation Awards are a statewide hallmark, showcasing the best in historic preservation. The awards ceremony includes the presentation of the Preservation Design Awards and the President’s Awards, bringing together hundreds of people each year to share and celebrate excellence in preservation.
The California Preservation Foundation (CPF), a 501c3 nonprofit, was incorporated in 1978. We now support a national network of more than 20,000 members and supporters. Click here to learn how you can become a member.
Welcome to Our Team
Become a member today and join our team! We are a community of architects, designers, preservationists, and architecture fans who come together to support a singular mission: to save historic places. We can't do it without you! Click here to join us.
Get CPF updates
Sign up below to receive advocacy alerts and updates from CPF.
Search for Preservation Jobs
View preservation job listings in California and beyond. To add a new job listing, use the link at the bottom of the page or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Architectural Conservator/Architectural Historian
As a growing firm, we are currently seeking an Architectural Conservator / Architectural Historian with 3 to 5 years of professional experience.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of, and experience with, the following:
- Standard industry reports – HRE, HSR, SISR Reviews, Condition Assessment Report and National Register Nominations
- Historic preservation philosophies and current methodologies
- Secretary of the Interior’ s Treatment Standards
- Historic Resource and Survey methodologies
- CEQA/NEP A environmental review
- Regional development trends/ planning requirements
- Understand both exterior and interior construction materials
- Treatment recommendations for common building materials and conditions issues
- Paint Sample Analysis
- Advising and providing AutoCAD construction document notations
- Solid client communication skills
- Excellent writing and editing abilities
- Ability to adhere to project timelines and budgets
- Field work as part of report preparation
- Comfort with a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team work environment
- Minimum Requirements:
- Master’s degree in Historic Preservation, Architectural History, Preservation Planning or related field
- Exceed Secretary of Interior’s Historic Preservation Professional Qualification Standards for Architectural History
Garavaglia Architecture is committed to providing an environment for growth opportunities to its employees including participation in professional organizations and continuing educational opportunities. We offer a competitive benefits package and are an Equal Opportunity Employer. The salary range for this position is $65-$75k commensurate with experience.
Garavaglia Architecture Inc. is a dynamic preservation architecture firm conveniently located in downtown San Francisco. Established in 1986, our range of projects includes civic, commercial, institutional, and residential projects with a specialization in historic preservation and sustainability. While many of our projects are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, we do work throughout California. The firm actively seeks projects that challenge our studio, including a variety of interesting and unusual projects both large and small. We pride ourselves in offering our clients innovative and personalized services for their projects while seamlessly integrating technical expertise with creative design solutions.
Pay Range (Annual): $60,000 – $75,000
Location: San Francisco, CA
Job Type: Full Time
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume, and professional writing samples to email@example.com with “Architectural Conservator” as the subject heading.