Can a volunteer civic group do a historic structures survey that will be considered by the jurisdiction?

by Andrew Shaffer  on June 27, 2018 | | No comments

Yes, anyone can prepare an application for historic designation at the federal, state or local level. Instructions for National Register applications are found on the National Parks Service website. Assistance with process, terminology, designation criteria, historic contexts and significance, property types, integrity, setting boundaries and counting contributors can be found in NPS Bulletin 15: How to Apply the National Register Criteria for Evaluation and Bulletin 16: How to Complete the National Register Registration Form.

Instruction for California Register applications are found on the Office of Historic Preservation’s website.

Consult your local jurisdiction for local nomination procedures.

About the Author

Andrew Shaffer is the former Engagement Director at the California Preservation Foundation. Prior to joining CPF, he studied at the University of San Francisco and the University of Wisconsin, where he specialized in LGBTQ history, preservation, and activism. Andrew is a transplant to San Francisco and loves showing off his adopted hometown to people from all over the world.