The annual President’s Awards honor individuals and organizations deserving of special recognition for their outstanding preservation efforts. Their work allows others to gain a deeper appreciation of historic resources and their value to California’s economy, environment and quality of life. The President’s Awards are presented during the California Preservation Awards.
President’s Awards are granted to individuals or organizations deserving of special recognition for individual or cumulative effort that furthers the cause of historic preservation, in the following categories:
- Advocacy or Outreach Award
- Industry Impact Award
- Milton Marks Legislator of the Year Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Preservationist of the Year Award
The following are factors for consideration: Individual Effort; Cumulative Effort; Volunteerism; Regionally Significant Contribution; Community Significant Contribution; Furthers the Cause; Advocacy Achievements. See the descriptions below for additional information.
All President’s Award Nominations are reviewed and selected by the California Preservation Foundation Board of Trustees.
To submit a nomination, use the form below or download the form available here and email it, along with supporting information, to email@example.com.
Advocacy or Outreach Award
Advocacy Awards are granted to individuals or organizations deserving of special recognition for their work in raising awareness, creating innovative programs, or who have advocating for or directly engaged in the preservation of sites, buildings, neighborhoods or communities that have regional, statewide or national significance. Factors considered for this award include individual or group effort, significance of the contribution, achievement, and impact on the cause of preservation.
Industry Impact Award
Industry Impact Awards are bestowed upon firms or companies that have furthered the cause of historic preservation and had a significant influence beyond their own work. Successful nominees will have developed new standards, helped to spark the renewal of a neglected area or community, created an innovative technique or model, or invested heavily in the cause of historic preservation. Factors considered for this award include the significance of the contribution, achievement, and impact on the cause of preservation.
Milton Marks Legislator of the Year Award
The Legislator of the Year Award is granted to an elected official from California for their significant contribution to Historic Preservation. Nominees must have made either an individual or cumulative effort at the local, regional, statewide or national level.
Lifetime Achievement or Preservationist of the Year Award
The most prestigious honor bestowed by the California Preservation Foundation, these awards recognize individuals for lifetime achievement or for a particularly significant effort during the prior year. To receive these awards, the nominee must have made an outstanding contribution or have exceptional achievements of statewide importance in the cause of preservation.
- To facilitate travel and attendance, preference is given for people living or working in the region where the California Preservation Awards are being held (alternating annually between northern and southern California).
- Award recipients receive complimentary registration for themselves and one guest and may purchase up to eight additional tickets at the member rate.
- All President’s Award Winners are invited to make brief remarks on stage. Lifetime Achievement Award Winners may submit the name of one additional speaker to present on their behalf. All invitations to speak will be issued by CPF staff.
- You may nominate more than one person or group and you may nominate a single person or group for more than one award. Please complete a separate nomination form for each person or award category if more than one. Include documentation to support the nomination and select the appropriate award category for the nominees. Send additional documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.