Annual Awesome Auction Ends @ 8pm Pacific 12/16
This spectacular, limited edition portfolio of 20 rare prints, each about 16″ by 20″ from the California State Library’s collection was published in 2002. The lithographs in this limited edition portfolio represent some of the most enduring and rare images of early San Francisco. Also included is a reference booklet with historical information on the lithographs.
The included prints are entitled:
- Plate 1: “San Francisco in 1848”
- Plate 2: “San Francisco in July, 1849”
- Plate 3: “San Francisco.” 1851, looking east.
- Plate 4: “San Francisco, 1851.” Litograph published for The History of the World.
- Plate 5: “Mission Dolores, San Francisco, 1860, from the Potrero Nuevo”
- Plate 6: “California Scenery, Seal Rocks, Point Lobos”
- Plates 7 through 11: “San Francisco, 1863: From Russian Hill” (five-part panorama)
- Plate 12: “Bird’s Eye View of the City and County of San Francisco, 1869”
- Plate 13: A View of Montgomery Street, San Francisco, 1878, Hand-colored wood engraving
- Plate 14: The Arctic Expedition, The Jeannette Passing through the Golden Gate
- Plate 15: The New California Sugar Refinery, San Francisco, 1881
- Plate 16: The Telegraph Hill Observatory, San Francisco, 1883
- Plate 17: “Bird’s Eye View of hte City of San Francisco and Surrounding Country.” 1868
- Plate 18: “Military of San Francisco” Lithograph.
- Plate 19: “The Burning of San Francisco, April 18, 29, 20.” 1906
- Plate 20: “The Exposition City, San Francisco.” Chromolithograph, North American Press Association, 1912
San Francisco Early Prints: 1848-1900 is the result of a collaboration between print collector and dealer Kathleen Manning, the State Library, and Windgate Press. Recognizing that scarce early prints of San Francisco have become so expensive and difficult to obtain at any price, the collaborators decided to publish a group of the most desirable prints.
The lithographs and engravings selected for the publication are among the most sought-after images of San Francisco. Using cutting-edge technology, Windgate Press reproduced the subtle color nuances and natural aging present in the original images. Great for framing or display!
Retail cost of the portfolio is $210. Item is a generous gift of Cindy Heitzman.
- Kay Tornborg
- $125.00 USD
- 22 hours ago