Forming and Managing Historic Commissions
Note: This session is part of a three-part series for local governments, entitled "Lessons for Local Governments." Register for all three and save over 20% on the series. AIA and AICP continuing education credits will be available.
Creating a historic preservation board or commission can be a challenging task. Managing the mission, personalities, and issues behind it is even more challenging! This 90-minute webinar will explore the steps necessary to establish a historic preservation board or commission; discuss the recommended composition of its members; its level of authority and relationship to other boards or commissions; and will provide guidance on maintenance activities including member education, annual reporting, staff support and education, and public outreach and communication.
- Take the steps necessary before establishing a historic preservation board or commission
- Efficiently manage and prioritize the issues associated with a historic preservation board or commisssion
- Use tools to streamline board member education, reporting, public outreach, and communication
- Visualize the interaction and chain of command that a historic preservation commission has with other commissions, city staff, and the general public
Documents and Downloads
Forming and Managing Historic Commissions - Handout
- Tim Frye, City & County of San Francisco Planning Department Preservation Division
- Lynnette Tessitore-Lopez, Historic Preservation Program Manager, City of Chula Vista
- Wade Broadhead, Planning & Development Director at City of Florence Colorado.