Historic Places and Well-Being – What’s The Evidence?
In a region of rapidly shifting space and interminable architectural change, the places attached to our identity are being constantly reconfigured, replaced, or redefined. This evening panel facilitated by Dr. Raymond Neutra will look at the real impacts that the loss of historic places can have on the health and well-being of nearby residents.
How can urban planners, designers, and advocates for historic places look to scientific researchers for answers? Can real-world examples help point the way? Which types of neighborhoods produce healthier outcomes for residents, and which changes in neighborhoods cause irreparable harm?
Fifteen-minute vignettes and case examples from each of our panelists will be followed by breakout sessions, where there will be lively discussions about the convergence of heritage conservation, public health, environmental psychology, and neuroscience. This after-work program will conclude with a networking reception on the San Francisco waterfront, sponsored by Architectural Resources Group, Inc.
Post-event Networking Reception Sponsored by...
- Attendees will remember presented examples of social, psychological and neurological effects of things designed or preserved
- Attendees will remember presented examples of organizations who have studied design and evaluated its impact on well-being
- In facilitated round table discussions, attendees will look at effects of preservation and ways that advocates for historic places can cogently make the case for the role of historic preservation in the health of a neighborhood.
- Dr. Raymond Richard Neutra, M.D., former Chief of the Division of Environmental and Occupational Disease Control of the California Department of Public Health
- Dr. Richard Jackson, M.D., Professor Emeritus at the Fielding School of Public Health at the University of California, Los Angeles
- Lily Bernheimer, MSc, Author and Director of Space Works Consulting
Posted in: Advocacy, Architectural Styles & Periods, Modernism, Tours & Special Events