Historic Surveys & Designation: From Identification to Nomination
Historic surveys are the basis for identifying resources for nomination to local, State and the National Registers of Historic Places. This workshop is a broad look at the chronology and process for designating historic resources – from surveys to nomination. It will be an invaluable workshop for planners, architectural historians, commissioners and local advocates interested in updating and expanding the list of designated landmarks and historic districts in California communities. The workshop will conclude with a “mock” survey and identification of contributing/non-contributing resources in downtown Ventura.
- Using case examples from past nominations, engage with best practices for nominating a site to the local, state, and national register.
- Examine examples of nomination forms, including the DPR 523 and NPS Form 10-900 for National Register Nominations.
- Develop best practices field surveys, including establishing appropriate registration requirements and integrity considerations.
- Using local examples of resource surveys, become familiar with the chronology and process for varioust types of resource surveys
Agenda and Bios
Agenda and Bios
- Katie Horak, Principal at Architectural Resources Group
- Christy McAvoy, Founding Principal, Historic Resources Group
- Mitch Stone, Partner at San Buenaventura Research Associates
- Stephen Schafer, Architectural HABS | HAER | HALS Photographer
- Paul Travis, Historic Resources Group
- other speakers to be announced.
Campus Planning & Design
Housing / Community Design
Images Courtesy Stephen Schafer