Get CPF updates
Sign up below to receive advocacy alerts and updates from CPF.
Search for Preservation Jobs
View preservation job listings in California and beyond. To add a new job listing, use the link at the bottom of the page or contact Andrew Shaffer at email@example.com.
Museum Site Assistant
Provides assistance with daily operations and visitor services of the Cooper-Molera Adobe historic site including programs and events, and volunteer and tour scheduling. Assists with special projects and some administrative and clerical support to Co- Directors.
Assists in daily operations of the office and site, including:
- Responsible for the daily opening/set-up/closing duties of the house and public spaces of the site for tours, programs and events. Monitor appearance of common areas in the building and gallery and tend to needs or alert maintenance or management staff as appropriate.
- Serve as front desk receptionist, answering and routing incoming calls and greeting and assisting visitors in a professional and courteous manner.
- Provide information to visitors to the site.
- Serve as primary tour guide/interpreter on assigned days and as needed.
- Schedule site tours and fulfill daily visitor tour needs. Assist in processing reservation requests for special events, programs and tours. Maintain tour scheduleand volunteer scheduling calendar, scheduling volunteer guides and tour assistants for daily and special tours as well as public programs, group tours and events.
- Maintain monthly visitation reports.
- Accept and secure on-site donations.
- Process membership requests, maintain member database, assist with membership mailings and recordkeeping.
- Maintain files, records and databases of staff, volunteer and advisory committee contact information.
- Assist with set-up, clean-up and other logistics for programs and special events.
- Assist with the volunteer program, including helping with logistics for guide training, continuing education.
- Assist with special projects as time allows.
- Handle additional duties as assigned
Serves as assistant to Co-Directors as needed including:
- Process donations, maintain memberships and renewals, prepare thank-you letters and receipts for co-directors’ signatures.
- Assist with logistics for Advisory Council business and meeting preparation.
- Process contracts and payments to outside vendors for special events and services provided and maintain appropriate financial records.
- At least 1-2 years of related administrative experience; museum or non-profit organizational experience preferred.
- Experience, knowledge and interest in preservation and local history preferred.
- Excellent customer/visitor services skills.
- Strong organizational skills required.
- Basic analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Basic project-coordination skills, with ability to achieve results with close supervision and direction.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a moderate volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion.
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; bilingual language skills (English/Spanish) strongly desired.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
- High level of proficiency with all Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) required.
- Minimum physical requirements include: ability to lift, carry, push or pull up to 25 lbs on a frequent basis and occasionally more; ability to bend, squat, kneel, twist/turn, climb, and reach above the shoulder; ability to walk over uneven terrain, climb stairs, physically access areas of historic buildings not fitted for public access;
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent years of experience) preferred.
- Regular and reliable attendance required, with ability to work approximately 20+ hours per week, including evenings, weekends and some holidays.
Cooper-Molera Adobe is a National Trust Historic Site located in downtown Monterey, California representing the layered history of the families who lived in and built Monterey. This site features two adjacent adobe homes, an adjacent adobe corner store, an adobe warehouse and a barn complex on 2.5 acres surrounded by an adobe wall. The principle adobe residence dates to 1827 with development continuing through the 19th and 20th centuries for a variety of commercial and residential uses.
Donated to the National Trust in 1972, Cooper-Molera was operated by the California State Parks under a long-term lease until December 2016. Diminishing state resources resulted in reduced operations at the site and significant restoration needs went unfunded. After comprehensive review with local stakeholders, the National Trust developed a concept designed to bring new life to Cooper-Molera: a “shared use” model for the property. This “shared use” concept identified an opportunity to develop a new, more financially and culturally sustainable operating model for this historic site, while reflecting the history of the site as an active commercial and residential property.
This combination of commercial and nonprofit, “shared use” is an interpretation of the sites original custom. Commercial operators will create distinct businesses, for-profit and non-profit entities will manage the site collaboratively through the resources of the National Trust and the “shared use” partners.
Location: Monterey, CA
Job Type: Part Time
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to 833596-CSfirstname.lastname@example.org