The California Preservation Foundation (CPF) was incorporated in 1978 and has since become a 501c3 nonprofit with a statewide network of more than 20,000 members and supporters. Click here to learn how you can become a member.
Become a Member
Our members help support our mission! Click to join.
Get CPF updates
Sign up below to receive advocacy alerts and updates from CPF.
Search for Preservation Jobs
View preservation job listings in California and beyond. To add a new job listing, use the link at the bottom of the page or contact us at email@example.com.
Senior Architectural Historian
As a growing firm, we are currently seeking a Senior Architectural Historian with 4 to 8 years of professional experience.
- Knowledge of historic preservation philosophies and current methodologies
- Knowledge about the function and design of historic structures
- Preparation of Historic Structures Reports
- Ability to identify appropriate treatment measures for affected historic structures
- Experience with survey methodologies
- Ability to write standard industry reports – HRE, HSR, SISR Reviews and National Register Nominations
- CEQA research/NEPA environmental review
- Familiarity with HABS/HAER documentation
- Solid client communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing and editing abilities
- Maintain project timelines and budgets
- Field work as part of report preparation
- Comfort with a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team work environment
- Project management capabilities including team coordination
- Masters degree in Historic Preservation, Architectural History, Preservation Planning or related field
- Candidate must meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards for Historic Preservation and/or Architectural Historian
Garavaglia Architecture Inc. is a dynamic preservation architecture firm conveniently located in downtown San Francisco. Established in 1986, our range of projects includes civic, commercial, institutional, and residential projects with a specialization in historic preservation and sustainability. While many of our projects are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, we do work throughout California. The firm actively seeks projects that challenge our studio, including a variety of interesting and unusual projects both large and small. We pride ourselves in offering our clients innovative and personalized services for their projects while seamlessly integrating technical expertise with creative design solutions.
Garavaglia Architecture is committed to provide an environment for growth opportunities for its employees including participation in professional organizations and continuing educational opportunities. Garavaglia Architecture, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pay Range (Annual): Commensurate with Experience/Negotiable
Location: San Francisco, CA
Job Type: Full Time
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume, and professional writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Architectural Historian” as the subject heading.