The California Preservation Foundation (CPF) was incorporated in 1978 and has since become a 501c3 nonprofit with a statewide network of more than 20,000 members and supporters. Click here to learn how you can become a member.
Become a Member
Our members help support our mission! Click to join.
Get CPF updates
Sign up below to receive advocacy alerts and updates from CPF.
Search for Preservation Jobs
View preservation job listings in California and beyond. To add a new job listing, use the link at the bottom of the page or contact us at email@example.com.
Conditions Assessment Specialist/Architectural Historian/Architectural Conservator
As a growing firm, we are currently seeking a Conditions Assessment/Architectural Conservator/Architectural Historian with 2 to 5 years of professional experience.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of, and experience with the following:
- Standard industry reports – HRE, HSR, SISR Reviews and National Register Nominations
- Historic preservation philosophies and current methodologies
- Secretary of the Interior’s Treatment Standards
- Survey methodologies
- CEQA/NEPA environmental review
- Regional development trends/ planning requirements
- Conditions Assessment Reports
- Understand both exterior and interior construction materials
- Some working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Advising and providing AutoCAD construction document notations
- Treatment recommendations for common building materials and conditions issues
- Paint Sample Analysis
- Solid client communication skills
- Excellent writing and editing abilities
- Keen sense of project timelines and budgets
- Field work as part of report preparation
- Comfort with a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team work environment
- Master’s degree in Historic Preservation, Architectural History, Preservation Planning or related field
- Exceed Secretary of Interior’s Historic Preservation Professional Qualification Standards for Architectural History
Garavaglia Architecture Inc. is a dynamic preservation architecture firm conveniently located in downtown San Francisco. Established in 1986, our range of projects includes civic, commercial, institutional, and residential projects with a specialization in historic preservation and sustainability. While many of our projects are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, we do work throughout California. The firm actively seeks projects that challenge our studio, including a variety of interesting and unusual projects both large and small. We pride ourselves in offering our clients innovative and personalized services for their projects while seamlessly integrating technical expertise with creative design solutions.
Garavaglia Architecture is committed to providing an environment for growth opportunities to its employees including participation in professional organizations and continuing educational opportunities. We offer medical and other benefits and are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pay Range (Annual): Commensurate with Experience/Negotiable
Location: San Francisco, CA
Job Type: Full Time
How to Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter, and professional writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Conditions Assessment Specialist” as the subject heading.