Economic Development, Part 3: Preservation Planning in Post-Redevelopment California
Many preservationists know how to treat buildings physically, but flounder when trying to justify or strategize the financial implications of a project. This session will equip preservationists with an understanding of legal, political, and economic issues that affect preservation projects and learn how a successful project can have a beneficial economic impact on a site, its users, and the community. Experts that have experience in preservation-related economic development will share insights for economically sound preservation work. It will place a particular focus on what the changes mean for California’s Main Street Program and the tools communities can use to ensure that future redevelopment programs keep preservation as a key focal point.
- Recognize the changing nature of preservation financing over the last 5 years.
- Identify new options for financing preservation projects.
- Take into account the legal, political, and economic issues that affect preservation projects.
- Take advantage of the latest tools and programs that can help fulfill your community’s unique needs.
- Cassandra Walker, Municipal Resources Group, Former Community Development Director, Napa
- Alexa Smittle, Principal, RSG
- Laura Cole Rowe, Executive Director, California Main Streets.
Documents and Downloads
Posted in: Economic Development, Webinars