Materials Conservation – Wood
Wood is the most widely used building material across the world. Wood is beautiful, warm, relatively easy to work with, and prized for its decorative qualities as well as its structural performance. With the appropriate design, installation, and maintenance, wood is a durable feature of many historic structures. This webinar, led by a practicing engineer and wood scientist, provides tools and techniques to retain historic wood fabric.
- Understand wood durability terminology and issues.
- Discuss wood preservative treatments and their pros and cons.
- Review field investigation and structural assessment techniques, including in-situ stress grading.
- Learn the most common repair techniques: sistering, epoxy repair, and replacement.
- Janelle Leafblad, Senior Staff II - Building Technology, Simpson Gumpertz & Heger