The Path to Compliance: Treatment of Exiting Systems
The webinar will cover the application of the California Historical Building Code Chapter 8-5 to issues of egress and fire rated construction. The session will include discussion of alternative provisions using the code for performance-based solutions, negotiated with the Building and Fire Officials, as well as the use of prescriptive remedies, such as exceptions for historic doorway and corridor widths and the continued use of existing non-compliant stairs, as well as provisions for openings in fire rated corridors. The use of existing fire escapes and new fire escapes will also be discussed. Application of the provisions will be illustrated by case studies.
- Understand the underlying purpose and intent of the CHBC
- Learn the application of the alternatives provided in the CHBC
- Learn how to develop additional alternatives based on the code intent and individual building conditions
- Understand the relationship between the protection of historic fabric and life safety
- Alan Dreyfuss, AIA, Associate Principal, Wiss Janney Elstner Associates, Inc.
- Chris Wasney, AIA, Principal, Cody Anderson Wasney Architects, Inc.